Friday, September 04, 2015

The Neighbourhood

HDB Living in Singapore

It is the aim of the reigning government that every couple has a roof over their heads on a cramp island like Singapore. I recalled studying about HDB apartments when I was doing an urban study living in the University of Malays back in the 70s under Professor Lee Boon Tong. At that time world research already deemed it worth an in depth study about its policy, implementation and success story. Somehow, some practical solutions have to be put in place for her people for future peaceful survival and the fruit is surely felt today especially with the ongoing election on for 11 September.



It is not surprising then to witness high rise buildings when you open your windows and see the skyline. Right across Grace's apartment is a convent. Every morning the chiming of the morning bells wake me up from my slumber; just like the 'subur' call back home. These prayer calls are timely calls for me to wake up for the day and its chores. Religious practices carry us through the ups and downs of life. It is good to pray and hope for the needs of each day; may it for yourself, loved ones, friends and country. We exist for meaningful exchanges.

It is also new to me in apartment living; having lived in landed properties up to this juncture. So, after feeds and entertainment, I could not help but go down and walk around the grounds of the block. I feel trapped at times as I move from one corner to the other and needed to breathe under bigger space. I would gaze around and see what people do here.

There is this group of retirees hanging around coffee shops and chatting away. They must be talking about the impending snap election and they exchanged opinions so thoroughly, Then very soon the van would come around and over the loud speaker it called:

Dear voters, vote for PAP, we will work for you...
With you
For you
For a better Singapore...

The voice over the loud speaker is in many forms; Mandarin, Malay, English, Tamil, Teo Chew, Hokkien , Hakka ; just name them. Refreshingly different. 


Further down the block, colourful flags and decorations caught one's attention. I spoke into Emily's ears and told her to notice the colourful movements and she responded in soft goo goo gah gah...

I also watch the media, listen to conversations and conclude that the authorities depend on unity to call the shot. Malays, Chinese and Indians ; a multi-ethnic composition just like back home which needs a common oneness for a success story,
 Surely, the cliche United We Stand and Divided We Fall is never more real; a principal that stands for generations and generations.
Will the world learn?

Soon, I also noticed a Taoist/Buddhist funeral service being conducted under a common ground in the next block. Neighbourhood living is sharing everything. You have to get used to loud music of the 70s being sung and played. You cannot and must not complain. They practice good values; tolerance, kindness and mutual responsibility.

Strolling further, I saw another phenomenon.
Gardens.
Plots of land seemingly under different ownership...
I hope I did not get it wrong.
It boils down to the fact that humans love plants and animals. They do not just exist but co-exist with God's other creations for relaxation and creativity.




At different hours of the day I saw the womenfolk pottering around with spades and watering their pride, Yes, they take pride in their plots; definitely so. I guess you cannot do shopping 24/7 but to indulge in other healthier outdoor activities.

At the grocer, I practice a bad habit.
Conversion.
I cannot help but compare.
The eggs, fish, chicken, potatoes, onions cost the same amount as back home but in Singapore dollars and that means 3x more. I kept ranting about it and Grace very seriously chided:
DON'T CONVERT, MA.
I am trying very hard; daughter.



At the end of the day, it is how we live a life.
So, may God continue to lead Emily in meaningful living wherever she is and however she is sleeping; the sarong is still the best !

Hope to enjoy the day with Emily again.

No comments:

Post a Comment