Sunday, July 26, 2015

Retirees

They say retirement is just another phase of life.

That all you have to do is to get used to a new lifestyle and new activities.
Actually, I strongly believe NOW that retirement needs some form of planning. That one cannot just retire in the hope that you will get used to it. There is a need to fill the day with hobbies that you really enjoy or even a routine that involves meaningful engagement with people.

When you are younger it is easier as you are mobile and may be more acclimatised to the media and technology savvy games, puzzles and of course the many forms of media communication.
Reading is fun-filled but when you suffer from long-sightedness it can be a challenge to read through the prints. When reading is hampered physically it can take the joy out of you.

Well, of course the box is the next most casual and easy form of entertainment. You must consciously learn the good and avoid the evil in the moral lessons imparted through the Korean and Taiwanese series. My mother of 90 will always grunt at the bad attitudes of characters and despite her many criticisms she would still get glued to the shows. Her next best fun activity is to use the phone. She would be calling all her children to ask the usual questions: what are you doing, have you eaten, what did you eat, when are you coming to see us...next she would be calling her friends to ask about their well being...positive.

My father with nothing much to do would read the papers from page to page savoring in on anything that catches his attention, rekindles the past, and talk about taxes, gst and the like. How he detests the formalities and how they have taken the interest out of his life. But today while I was with him, I took him to the shop and accompanied him in his favourite hobby.


He took out his tools and dabbled with craft. He started repairing rings, bracelets and was completely happy. The poor man missed his routine. That activity took half a day and that was good enough for him. He achieved something for the day. He has to dismiss this hobby soon. The craftsman of old surely has to call it a day.

What did I do? A retiree too.
Well, it is strange that at my age I have still the opportunity to have bonding time with my parents. Surely God is merciful and gracious.

So, I too did my favourite hobby. I decided that I should sew. I went to the fabric outlets in town, found a few pieces of cotton material and cut. I cut and sewed 2 sets of pajamas for my mother and a blouse for myself. It is exciting to see the finished products and the best part is to be able to converse with them while I did the sewing.



 Cutting and stitching them in a day was a challenge. As my stay was short, I needed to complete what I had embarked on. However challenging it was, my excitement over took it and I did not rest till I completed the task in a day.


 There, I surely am proud of myself. Mother does not like anything off the peg. She is adamant that the pajamas be sewed according to her specific needs and measurements. I suppose taste and old habits die hard and it was no too difficult to please her.



 Then I also pampered myself and stitched a simple and practical blouse.
 Dad always say I am old fashioned and seldom detour away from that kind of look.
 Well, I am sure I will be comfortable in it.



But the best memory is of little Emily.
She has been away a month and I miss the baby sounds she makes .
Well. is it true that I should babysit too?

Retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment