Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pearl of China


When I was  a school girl back in the 60s, I read the Good Earth as a literature text. I did not know the origins of the book except that it was written by Pearl S. Buck. I vaguely remembered that the author had some links with China but I did not fathom that the tie was so strong until I read the book above.
Pearl of China revealed to me the intricacies of the life of the famous Pearl S. Buck and her undying loyalty to the land where she was brought up in particular to the southern town of China in Chin-Kiang.

Her story is told through the detailed narration of Willow, a local Chinese girl who stood with her through thick and thin in the relationship. Even when men friends and husbands tore their lives, the two friends understood the meaning of loyalty and friendship. It was heartbreaking to see how they finally still could not meet each other in their twilight years but yet Willow would go against all odds to make the final attempt to visit the grave of Pearl S. Buck in America. Willow was amazed how Pearl constructed a 'mini China' in her homeland; connoting a never ending love for China and her desire to be back there.

This book also revealed the complexities and cruelty of politics in the Mao Era and how many suffered under the reign especially in camps. Willow had to go through much in defense of her Christian faith and her loyalty to her American comrade. Absalom, the American missionary and also father of Pearl, is instrumental in converting many including Willow's papa and how this small congregation struggled for their stand.

This is a simple book to read but sustains one's interest throughout. The episodes are absorbing and I stopped many many times to reflect on ideas, relationships and circumstances related. I must admit that it takes a lot of courage and strength for people then to hang on to principles, sufferings and convictions. But it is good to see how people stood for them.

After this book, I would like to read more books by Anchee Min because they are palatable to my taste buds. Read the book and it will enrich you too. I have been enriched.

Pearl of China is a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment