Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Snippets


In the week we were there, I learnt a little more of the livelihood of the local ordinary folks. I observe their daily social engagements. The obvious conclusion is life is not easy and the people work hard to sustain a live style.

Upon landing, the very clever friend of mine who on an earlier visit had learnt all about public transport and how to get around the city in the best possible solution, quickly paid for tickets on a bus to Shau Kei Wan where Joy chooses to reside. It was cheap and tickets were bought on a return. Perhaps the best surprise is to have the bus arriving right at the doorstep of where we put up. 
It was truly so convenient.


I love this arrangement. My friend leads and I follow.

The condo was slapped right in the heart of Shau Kei Wan; thus it was a breezy affair each day as we commute all over the island. In this very short time, we had the opportunity to use the bus, tram, MTR and ferry. I would have taken years back home to be on these modes of transport. It is a learning experience when you leave the comfort zone of your home and immerse yourself in activities that others do.


I was informed that real estate is truly a real affair in Hong Kong. The haves indulge in either properties or shares as bank rates are so low that it is not lucrative to park cash there. But the figure is staggering to own a property. It is in terms of millions; hundreds of thousands are not enough to owe anything. So you work all your life to be able to stay in a decent place. 


 After Melbourne. I rarely get the chance to be on a tram. The island still preserves this mode of transport till this day. A ride in it irrespective of distance is HK2.30 ; indeed very affordable ; the downside being it crawls. So if you are in a hurry, the tram ride can cause frustration.


 The market of Shau Kei Wan is just like one of those along Petaling Street where all forms of meat, greens and fruits are bargained for. 


The soya bean family products are fresh and the taugeh is of a length I have never seen. Everybody is busy and eating. It seems life is lived for that.


Back home I have not seen ladies working in the construction field hands on. So I was amazed by the ladies shoveling sand and stones and being so physically ready for this vocation. We ladies are pampered in Malaysia.
Unlike Singapore, the city is haphazard where there is construction activity. in the photo on the right notice bamboo is used as scaffolds. We use steel.
Unconsciously, with some sense of pride and belonging I saw the Public Bank signboard and I was proud to be associated with it. The bank has business here.



Travelling from East to West of the island is swift with the MTR. Everyone uses it from toddlers and nurse maids, to grandparents, students and working adults. I observe the people sitting in front of me and wondered at the chance of meeting them. It is truly once in a life time meeting all who trudge into your life in this manner. That's life.


In an early ride to Macau , I cannot help but notice the students using their media gadgets for information and study. They rode in them early for school which would cover their activities a good part of the day. The countenances on their faces tell me they are ace students.



In one of the walks around the city, I saw students in cheongsam which was their official uniform. I got excited. They looked demure and proper. Now I sound absurd. I suppose it is perhaps I love to see them in it. I wonder at foreign students who register here. Do they wear them too?


 Cheung Sha Wan is famous for wholesale markets. The goods here are varied and prices competitive. Apparently there are over 250 stores selling ladies wear. You can shop for almost anything here. We were glad we came even if it had taken a long ride from  East to West. It was worth looking at it. Ordinary shoppers line the streets; not for the rich and famous.

At Central, we saw more Caucasians and the ethos is slightly different here. 
Art and culture are explicitly displayed and conventions are many.



Paintings and art are very well nurtured here. AT one glance you see finesse and style. They also cost a bomb.


The Cheongsam tops are great attractions. 
It was with great resistance that I exercised. 


 From Gage Street we proceeded to Lan Kwee Fong where the crowd gathered for drinks, conversations and fun The night never ends here.


Mong Kok street is where we found "Ladies Street" equivalent to our Petaling Street where again great bargains are endless. But how much can you buy? How much do you want? After a while the goods are no more attractive and your eyes are on items that can catch your attention.

At Tsim Sha Tsui, the crowd is even bigger.
Shopping is at every nook and corner.


Shop, shop, shop. It is endless and can be meaningless when over done. It is a good experience to feel the heart beat of the city though.

I was told that there was a special outlet here that sells facial products from Korea and Japan. The cost is even lower here.


 I was astonished at the crowd lining up to PAY.


 The shoppers come in with luggage bags that one will bring along during travels. See how they wait outside the outlet for their turn to buy. After that, they will pack and go home. I wonder where is home. China? or where?


 Some of the products sold; from Laneige, Sulwhasoo to Shiseido. Just name them. Crazy sales. Business strategies are so aggressive.


 In the streets of Hon Kong there are many reminders that this is the city where drama, art and culture found its strong roots. It is with much nostalgia taht I recalled memories of my mother and I going to cinemas for opera shows in my childhood days. Here I am here today to again see life in drama.


In a ferry across the esplanade, we witness the glitter of the night lights and see Hong Kong in its night beauty.


Hong Kong.
Much to learn and appreciate.

1 comment: