Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Take-Over





 It's time to pass down.
I wonder how many of us realise that time really waits for no tide and that we do grow old. 
At times it is self-denial; no it's still not time to give up; I am still as energetic as before  and I can go on and on and on. 
But alas, this is not so. 
It is the moment of truth; that we do grow older and growing old graciously is a constant reminder. 
So, today I witness another episode of life.



 Often said but definitely true. Taste is acquired and when you want food, you will automatically go to a favourite stall and savour your familiar choice. Sundays are good; you can afford some time to yourself and the jam is not so demanding. So I drove to a local hawker stall for my wantan mee. 
I remember how I long to lunch here when I was expecting all my 3 girls. Simply loved how the noodles were prepared and wherever I stayed in Subang Jaya I would make it a point to eat the noodles here. Business was and is brisk; the queue is never ending and the locals seem to love the noodles.

In those days, there was this lady boss and her big boss faithfully serving their customers with the best recipe and her friendly disposition was an added point to the brisk business. Lady boss was smiley and never looked tired though always on her two feet.
Today when I visited the stall, I expected Lady boss to be there.
She was missing.
Instead I saw 3 younger ones serving us.


 I casually looked at the labelling of the stall. "Fei Lou Sum Wantan Mee" which connotes that someone burly was the owner. Oh yes, I remembered that the big boss was indeed burly. So a simple address to a stall was indeed truly indicative. But today I did not see him too.

However, I noticed a younger version preparing the noodles on the right.

I asked the lady in the center: Where is your mother in law? Oh, she has retired; she quickly replied and I am her daughter. This lady on my left is the daughter in law. I guess the burly guy must be the son then.

One whole new generation inheriting the business of the parents. Very commendable. The daughter told me her dad has passed way and her mum is staying away from the business for a much deserving break and rest. The game has been passed down to the next generation. She is fortunate that the family business is now well managed by them.
Yes, we have to learn to pass down. The take-over has begun and I wonder if they have a different agenda from their parents? After all time changes. But certain things need not change...am I wrong?

I wonder again. But I do miss seeing the old couple at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment