Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Learning Again

 What to do?
 Perhaps the most painful thing after retirement is not knowing what exactly to embark on.
I know my days ahead will be quite a handful as I await patiently for the arrival of a new born.
Yet, the days here right now have to be spent well. It is difficult to digest the fact that I am of no economic value anymore. Days of the past were associated with a routine and even holidays are paid ones. It is not easy to accept that I am now no longer able to be on a regular job. But why do I have to work again? A silly question but nevertheless a relevant one. So, I am looking for things to do.


 As I unpacked my things, I looked at this school bag of mine with much nostalgia. This bag had accompanied me for many years; it carried my files, tupperwares of food and drink and I have never left home for school without it. It had served me well. It was with many memories as I tucked it aside in the store.


Then I saw this photo; a reminder that I have actually retired.
The memory was good.


 It was a tremendous 60th birthday celebration. I must thank my country for giving me such a wonderful opportunity to celebrate and retire in the best possible way. I had so many friends and loved ones around me on my birthday. How to thank everyone ?


At a quiet dinner at home where my children surrounded me, I was pampered with a home-made cake by Sara. Look at the detailing of the cake. Can you guess the names of the images? Grace, Esther, Sara?
An evening of unbelief. I am finally 60.



But the best is to be with the lot ... they call themselves The Golden Girls. Yes, I need to look for that lot! The retirees. The first thing to do is to be in touch with old friends and be part of the group. The meeting was conducted in a mall over breakfast. Do you know any of them? Pn Looi cheekily commented; " so nice, no need to take instructions from you "...hahahahahaha. 
By the way it is really nice not to give instructions !
So, the latest information went around and it is indeed good to be in touch again. 
When one retires, the first thing to do is to be in touch with all again. It is sad to be alone. 
So, organize parties, call your friends and stay relevant.

The first lesson; do not be a hermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment